Tracking and communicating legislation has never been easier.
With Capitol Impact’s Legislative Tracking System your organization can monitor bills, publish information, and analyze legislation in an online, collaborative environment.
The legislative tracking process begins with the selection of the bills that impact your organization. You then assign each bill a tracking level, code the bill for the subject areas, topics and/or departments, and explain the projected impact. As your audience reviews the legislation, they can use the feedback form to convey their views and the impact it will have at a local level. As bills move through the legislative process, you update your analysis for amendments.You control the subject areas, department names or topic areas. Create as many as you need. The legislative overview page makes it easy to view bills by tracking level, subject area, topic or department, and pull up the list of bills in each category. Users can quickly identify those bills they should review. In addition, the legislative tracking system contains direct links to your states legislative information as well as the complete list of legislators for your state and their contact information.
The Overview Page is the starting point for reporting legislation that you are tracking.
- The system allows you to go directly to a bill using the direct link option to specify the bill type and the bill number
- Look up lists of bills by date of last action
- Review bills by Tracking level which is the importance level you assign bills as they are added to your system
- Assign bills to keyword folders then pull up the bills in any folder
The Overview page is your entry to accessing bills and it is your audiences entry as well. Your audience sees the same page, and can use the items to pullout reports and review bill lists.
Add a Bill
Every night, Capitol Impact pulls down all the bills in your state, and delivers them to you in selectable list format. The instructions below are on your Add a Bill page, to tell you how it will work. Bills color coded in green have already been added to your system.Add a many bills as you want, there is no limit to how many you can track and report for your audience
Edit a Bill
You need to have some control over telling your audience how important the bill is and helping them find it easily. To that end, Capitol Impact gives you the the Edit a Bill page which will do the following:
- Allow you to change the title of the bill so it is more meaning full to your audience. What you type will be displayed as the title.
- Allow you to set a priority. use the terms hot, work or watch, etc or tell us what terms you want such as oppose and support.
- Assign the bills to folders such as topic or issue folders or make up folders for names of people. A bill can be assigned to multiple folders.
The Edit a bill page helps you to store the bill where your audience will likely look for it.
Provide your audience with the key points on any bill you are tracking. Save them time in understanding the issue and why it is an issue for your organization. The built in HTML editor allows you to enter and display as much commentary on any bill as you feel you need to make sure the audience knows what they are looking at.These comments will appear on the bill detail page as well as in the summary list of bills to get your audience to the points you want them to know, quickly.
The summary list page shows the list of bills for the universe you have chosen. The forma of this page is as follows, going across each row from left to right.
- Bill Number is on the left and is a hot link to the bill detail page for that piece of legislation.
- Tracking level is color coded to the level you assigned the bill.
- Title of the bill is to the right of tracking level
- Sponsor of the Bill is on the far right of the top row
- The second row starts with the date of the last action on that bill.
- The next box to the right shows the name of the action.
- The next box is the House committee the bill has been assigned to.
- The final box in row two is the Senate committee the bill has been assigned to.
- The Third row is the name of the folders that you have placed the bill into
- The Fourth Row is your short comment on the bill
- And the Final box is the full comments you want your audience to see about the bill.
The pattern is repeated for each bill in the list. You click on the Bill Number to go to the bill detail page for a specific bill.
For every bill, there is a bill detail page that displays:
- The bill title
- The tracking level
- The Current status of the bill
- The committees it is in
- The report date
- Your short note and you fill staff Analysis of the legislation
- An optional POST YOUR COMMENTS button for your audience to provide their comments ona bill and store them for the legislative affairs team to review.
- Followed by the states web page for that bill with all the full text of the latest version of each bill
All the information available for that bill is available for you and your audience to review
Email a Bill
The legislative tracking system includes a powerful e-mail communications system that allows you to create and send e-mails to your audience.Load the people names and e-mails into our PEOPLE module,which is included with your tracking system and send out blast e-mails to your legislative affairs team, or to one person. The system lets you quickly create the e-mail, link it to a list and send out to the entire list. if you have the GRASSROOTS LOBBYING component you can send an e-mail to your entire grassroots network. The integrated e-mail system enables rapid communication as it is all done via the Legislative tracking system and can be used wherever there is an Internet connection.
Need to export the list of bills to a spreadsheet to move the list to another environment or to send off as an attachment? just click the EXCEL button that shows up on every bill Summary page list and the system will copy the bill data to a spreadsheet for you!
Capitol Impact knows that your legislative affairs team needs to provide daily or weekly wrap-ups for the audience, and this can often be time consuming, as well a s a technical challenge. Our NEWS module allows you to use the integrated editor to enter in text and publish it along with your legislation. Publish weekly reports, copy articles from local media or point to them via hyperlinks. You can keep your audience informed on a variety of areas, with the News module.
The ability to collect information from your audience on what they think is important, can be done quickly and easily with the Capitol impact Survey tool. Create a legislative priorities survey and post it on your web site or e-mail it to your audience from the e-mail system. the survey tool is an easy to use application that creates questions in different formats, including accepting text responses and stores the information. The Response button then summarizes the responses as well as allowing you to export the data for use in EXCEL or any other program.
Each legislative tracking system comes with a current database of legislators for the states in which you a re tracking legislation. For each legislator the name links to a complete bio and contact record for that person.As a user of the Capitol impact legislative tracking system, you can also e-mail the legislators through the E-mail system, as we treat the legislators as another list.Send them notices of events for your organization, or e-mail them about an issue that your organization has. E-mail legislators as often as you need to, there is no limit. And use the Birthday list part of the legislators database to send notes on their birthdays!
Download our eBook
Improve Your Legislative Review Process:
A Look at the Job of Tracking and Monitoring Legislation
Whether you are monitoring legislation for a state agency or local government or tracking bills for an association or university, your legislative tracking needs are going to be dependent on the way your organization needs to gather and communicate legislative information. This E-Book will share valuable information that we have gathered over the past decade of working with organizations that track and monitor legislation across the country.
Download our E-Book today and learn:
- The Challenges of Tracking Legislation
- Creating a Communication Environment
- Legislative Tracking: One Size Does NOT Fit All
- Legislators Drive the Legislation
- Legislative Tracking and Grassroots Advocacy Integration
With a Legislative Tracking System from Capitol Impact you can:
- Monitor legislation that could impact your organization
- Organize bills into categories and groups
- Track legislation and receive updates on bills
- Assign bills to individuals for review
- Inform your audience by commenting and summarizing legislation
- Review legislation by allowing your audience to comment on bills
- Improve your legislative review process.